Supervision in the Hospitality Industry
This course may carry credits towards the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Management (SAQA ID 88062, NQF Level 5) and the Higher Certificate in Food and Beverage Management (SAQA ID 88063, NQF Level 5), if certain conditions are met
– Duration –
10 weeks (5–10 hours per week).
– Course fees –
R5,650 (inclusive of all textbooks and examination fees, excludes textbook delivery costs).
– Certification –
Graduates receive an AHLEI Certificate for each module completed as well as an IHS Short Course Certificate.
This module is aimed at developing effective managerial skills essential to success in the hospitality industry. Topics include how to recruit, select, and train; increase productivity; control labour costs; communicate effectively; manage conflict and change; and use time management techniques. The importance of self-development to enable career progression is emphasised.
What does the programme cover?
- Fundamental management responsibilities.
- Effective on-the-job communication.
- Recruitment of new employees.
- The importance of training within an organisation and the manager’s role in training.
- Forecast business volume using the base adjustment forecasting method and the moving average forecasting method.
- Employee coaching, counselling and disciplining. Components of a progressive disciplinary programme
- Managers as team leaders.
- Increasing employee participation in department activities.
- Time management
- Describe actions that managers can take to minimise employee resistance to change.
- Ongoing personal development and the importance of a personal career development plan.