Managing Housekeeping Operations
This course may carry credits towards the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Management (SAQA ID 88062, NQF Level 5) if certain conditions are met
– Duration –
10 weeks (5–10 hours per week).
– Course fees –
R5,650 (inclusive of all textbooks and examination fees, excludes textbook delivery costs).
– Certification –
Graduates receive an AHLEI Certificate for each module completed as well as an IHS Short Course Certificate.
Efficient housekeeping operations are a business imperative for any lodging operation. This module provides a thorough overview of housekeeping operations, which include hiring and retaining a quality staff, planning and organising the daily activities of the department, including the technical details required for cleaning each area of a typical lodging establishment.
What does the programme cover?
- The role of housekeeping in a hospitality operation.
- Environmentally- friendly procedures for sustainable housekeeping.
- Plan and organise the work of the hospitality housekeeping department.
- The role executive housekeeper in managing human resource concerns such as diversity, turnover, recruitment, selection, training, scheduling, and motivation.
- Managing inventories for linens, uniforms, guest loan items, machines and equipment, cleaning supplies, and guest supplies.
- Budgeting and control of expenses in the housekeeping department.
- Security concerns and the role that the members of the housekeeping department play in creating a safe and secure property.
- Laundry operations.
- Guestroom cleaning including room assignments, inspections and turndown service.
- Describe the selection and care considerations for beds, linens, and uniforms.
- Cleaning and maintenance of different types of carpeting and floors.
- Areas of a guest bathroom and how to select and care for each element.