Managing Beverage Operations
This course may carry credits towards the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Management (SAQA ID 88062, NQF Level 5) if certain conditions are met
10 weeks (5–10 hours per week)
R6 700 (inclusive of all textbooks and examination fees, excludes textbook delivery costs).
Students receive the IHS and AHLEI Short Course Certificate after successful completion.
This course lays the groundwork for a basic understanding of beverage operations by explaining the beverage service process, describing the types of positions commonly found in beverage operations, and focusing on such beverages as beer, spirits, and wine. Included in the course are instructions on responsible alcohol service, supervisory techniques, and procedures for entry-level beverage service positions.
What does the programme cover?
- Food and beverage trends affecting bars.
- The process involved in beverage service.
- Types of beverage establishments.
- Beverage staff positions.
- Duties of a beverage server and explain the role that a bartender plays in a bar.
- Rituals and procedures associated with the service of coffee, tea, beer, wine, and champagne.
- Signs of intoxication and explain how a “traffic light” system is used to monitor and control guests’ alcohol consumption.
- Leadership practices.
- Control points of a bar operation.
- Marketing and sales of beer, wine, and spirits in bars.
- The production process of beer.
- Mixology basics, including standard recipes and methods of mixing drinks.
- Types of wines and explain the wine-making process, from the pressing of grapes to the storage of bottled wine.
- Procedures for tasting and judging wines.
- Classification and labelling systems for wine in such countries as France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, and the United States.
- Major wine-producing areas of France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, and the United States.
- Basic characteristics of wines from such countries as Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Greece, Hungary, India, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, and South Africa.
Short Course Finance to fund your future
You now have the option to fund your course with a short-term loan with FeverTree Finance. Follow the quick and easy application process with pre-approval within seconds!