Management of Food and Beverage Operations
This course may carry credits towards the Higher Certificate in Food and Beverage Management (SAQA ID 88063, NQF Level 5) if certain conditions are met
10 weeks (5–10 hours per week)
R6 700 (inclusive of VAT and all textbooks and examination fees, excludes textbook delivery costs).
Students receive the IHS and AHLEI Short Course Certificate after successful completion.
This module examines how the food and beverage operation is planned, implemented, and evaluated. Students learn how to build business through effective marketing strategies, how to satisfy the food-quality and nutritional demands of guests, and how to increase profits by maximising service, productivity, and the use of technology.
What does the programme cover?
- The difference between commercial and non-commercial food service operations.
- Levels of management and the various positions in a food and beverage operation.
- Organisational structures of food and beverage operations.
- Steps involved in the management process.
- Understanding marketing in terms of providing excellent guest service,
- Feasibility studies, marketing research, and marketing plans.
- Nutrition and special dietary concerns.
- Menu pricing styles, menu schedules, menu types, and the menu planning process.
- Then menu as a marketing tool.
- Creating and using standard recipes.
- Standard food and beverage costs, and subjective and objective pricing methods.
- Purchasing, receiving, storing, and issuing and the role of technology in these processes.
- Functions and basic principles of food production.
- Types of service.
- Environmental and sustainability concerns.
- Prevention of accidents and foodborne illnesses in food service operations.
- Facility design and equipment selection.
- Financial statements, ratios and software used by food service managers.
Short Course Finance to fund your future
You now have the option to fund your course with a short-term loan with FeverTree Finance. Follow the quick and easy application process with pre-approval within seconds!